In this article we are going to discuss about how to paint shabby chic furniture at same time importance of shabby chic furniture. Let us discuss about shabby chic furniture. Let us see how it is used for interior designs. Importance of shabby chic furniture for home design in living room, dining room, bath room entire house.
How To Paint Shabby Chic Furniture
Shabby Chic is a style that causes up images of faded elegance, soft vintage linens and pretty floral. Shabby chic items are often heavily painted through the years with many layers showing through obviously time-worn areas. The shabby chic beauty also expands to the garden with the same design principles of using timeworn garden furniture and feminine accessories. Rose gardens are popular with the shabby chic style of decor.
How To Paint Furniture Shabby Chic
The shabby look happens once you start sanding. Usually chalk paint goes beautifully and evenly on most of the surfaces. By sanding it will allow you to start distressing the paint. We do sanding first because in order to maximize the distressed effect. For an real effect you need to focus on areas that will naturally see. Before we start how to create shabby chic let us have a quick look at what you can transform and where to get it.
Steps To Paint Shabby Chic Furniture
1. Before applying chalk paint make sure that the paint is really thick or not. When the paint is thick the more it will make and bit once you start distressing it. For doing this leave the paint open overnight.
2. Apply a small coat of chalk paint with large brush. To create texture move the brush in every direction. In the places of cracking you want to apply the paint thickly so that you can cover the crack part.
3. Use hairdryer to create a cracks it is optional. At first hold it close to paint for warm up then move it away the cracks start to appear after a minute.
4. After the paint is dry by using sandpaper chip paint off and sand back to reveal the wood beneath.
5. When you are happy with the level of distressing you have achieved know its time to wax. Use a coat of clear chalk paint to seal in your paint.
6. To really bring out the cracks you need to apply dark chalk paint wax it is optional.
7. Use a lint-free cloth to gently wipe off any excess wax and leave to dry. The wax will be touch dry quite quickly but can take up to two weeks to fully harden so be gentle it until then.
Before You Start
Planning is key to a successful outcome when you are starting any project. Make sure that the finished fixture of furniture fits in with the overall scheme you want to create redefining your surroundings and taking you on a stylish journey. Spending money on furniture and materials without a plan in mind might result in wasted time, effort and materials.
Getting Started With Shabby Chic Furniture Painting
The appeal of the Shabby Chic look is that your painted furniture needn’t look perfect. If you make mistakes while you are painting there’s no need to worry. Ultimately, what you’re trying to achieve is an uneven patina and the appearance of something that has faded and worn over the years. If something has been knocking around for decades, moved from house to house and handed down through generations, it won’t exactly be in mint condition anymore. Your aim is to replicate that effect simply with a liberal lick of Chalk Paint.
Simple Steps To Interior Design Using Shabby Chic
Prepare the Wood
Remove the existing wood finish to create a key so that your new paintwork will stick properly to the surface. If the wood has been polished with wax, then a wire wool pad plus turps or white spirit should do the trick. If it’s varnished, use sandpaper or a good quality paint and varnish remover.
Apply a Coat Of Water-Based Acrylic Primer
This simply gives your furniture a smoother finish, making it easier to work on. Because it’s a shabby chic project, you don’t need to be neat. Even if it is rubbish when painting it will be fine.
Apply Two Layers Of Paint
Next you need a couple of thin layers of colored water-based acrylic paint. Let the first layer dry completely before adding the next one. You can also gently sand the first layer with very fine sandpaper.
Distressing Your Painted Wooden Furniture
Distressing furniture also involves the first Steps 1 & 2 above. But instead of applying two coats of the same color you create a two-color distressed finish where the second layer is rubbed away to reveal the first for a natural wear and tear look.
Add Your First Color
Add your first color and let it dry completely. You simply dab streaks of clear furniture wax where you want the wood to look distressed. You can use a paintbrush to apply the wax. You need to paint the second layer of paint over the whole thing wax included. Let it dry then wipe the furniture with a soft cotton cloth to take the paint off the waxed areas leaving a brilliant effect that looks as though it’s just come out of a posh interior decor shop.
And Finally… The Finish
All you need is a good quality clear furniture polish. This delivers a lovely lustre as well as protecting the surface if not using a varnish.
Here, I have come to the end of the article on topic how to paint shabby chic furniture . I tried my level best to include all the necessary points that are required related to the article. I do hope my article would be interesting and may be ever knowledgeable.