Wondering why you need a baby safe paint for crib? Well, that’s what we’ll be talking about today.
According to a recent study:
85.9% of the paints we use continues to release harmful chemicals for years, even after application.
Now, imagine bringing such paint to your home, how disturbing it could be for your infant, pets, and the entire household.
- Most people think they can just grab the first paint that catches their eyes on the market place. Whereas, when adding curb appeal to your baby’s crib, you want to be careful. You need a non-toxic, zero VOC, no odor, and baby safe paint that won’t put your baby’s health on the line.
- Check once why is there no distilled water in the stores?
- Here’s a secret you don’t know: Every mom is using these baby safe paint for crafts while ensuring the safety of their babies.
- Before we begin, check out the table below for our recommended zero VOC paint safe for babies:
Best Baby Safe Paint For Crib
Is It Safe To Paint A Crib?
Yes! It’s completely safe to paint a crib. Painting your baby’s crib will not only help to beautify the furniture, but it’ll also add a touch of elegance to his/her room. It is, however, advisable to use only baby safe spray paint that has zero VOC, low odor, and is non toxic. This is the type of paint that will guarantee the safety and health of your precious jewel.
Read Also: Best Gold Spray Paints
Which Paint Is Safe For Babies?
The safest paints for cribs have to be water-based paints that are formulated with Zero-VOC and are non-toxic. This type of paints is very safe for your infants.
Sadly, most paints in the market today contain Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) which is known to be dangerous to human health.
- First thing first, the formation of VOCs is vast and devastating.
- During the drying process (as the paint dries), we discovered the most hazardous impact of paints is the discharge of VOCs.
- Everything except the solids in the paint formulation goes to the air.
- Once in the atmosphere, VOCs partake in forming ozone.
- Ozone occurs when VOCs respond with Oxygen in the air, in the presence of nitrogen oxides (NO2) and sunlight. Only then can it cook up good ozone.
- Furthermore, we regarded SMOG as the most venomous component of the form of pollution.
- Because it propels the ozone to attack the lung tissue, causing a wrathful effect in the body system.
- Even in low concentrations, it’s deadly!
- Although currently, you have no idea. But, studies have shown that:The concentration of VOCs is 10x stronger in our homes compared to the outer environment.
- And, it’s because the chemicals are among the ingredients in a wide variety of products, including household products.
- They’re found in paints, cosmetics, carpets, varnishes, fuel oil, mothballs, air fresheners, cleaning chemicals, upholstery fabrics, vinyl floors, and more.
- Speaking of paint, when it dries, it ejects toxic fumes in the home atmosphere, resulting in serious health problems.
- These poisonous substances have both short and long-term adverse health effects on us and our pets.
- Furthermore, this chemical sensitivity can provoke a cough, skin irritates chest complaints and put intense pressure on vital organs like the heart and lungs.
- Also, for those DIY enthusiasts who frequently come in contact with/work with a VOC paint, WHO (World Health Organization) discovered a 20%-40% boost of certain types of cancer in their lungs.
- Whereas, Danish researchers exclaimed that:
“Prolonged or high exposure to VOCs has a great possibility of resulting in neurological damage.”
- Additionally, Sherwin-Williams Co. (manufacturer and distributor of paints) discloses the dirty little secrets that “89.8% of the paints most painting companies produce in this digital age, are gradually declining our health.”
- As you can see, the steak is high. If a paint fume can be disruptive to an adult, let alone an infant baby.
- Thus, STOP for a moment and imagine if your baby would thrive healthily in a crib painted with VOC paints.
- So, if you want to see your baby always smiling and growing healthy, pull up your chair and read through our product review section THOROUGHLY!
That said, here is the best safe spray paint for baby crib:
Best Zero VOC Paint Safe For Babies
1. Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint | Best Paint For Baby Crib
Are you a remodeling contractor that usually goes home with a headache after inhaling thinners all day?
- Don’t be disappointed by yet another purchase you make. Grab this product instead.
- Rust-Oleum 285140 provides excellent adhesion without stimulating allergies, it’s essentially one of the best paint for baby cribs out there today.
- It’s a high-quality paint made with non-toxic materials that are safe for everyday use. You can expose yourself to the fume for even 18 years and still waxing strong.
- They’re non-VOC paint that is easy to apply on a variety of interior surfaces with minimal prep work.
- Also, use it to create a vintage look on your wood, metal, canvas, ceramic, and it’s absolutely one of the best baby safe paint for cribs.
- In a breeze, you can create a unique and one-of-a-kind look. All it takes is 1-coat coverage. And, it’s ideal for a quick project complete as it dries to touch in less than 30 minutes.
- Besides, a gallon covers approximately 150 sq. ft. and it’s easy to clean. Just apply soap and water, and you have a shiny look.
In summary, they’re available in a wide variety of colors, which makes it easy for you to add style and rejuvenate your décor to your taste.
- Low odor and dries quickly
- Easy to clean
- Zero VOC content
- Available in chalked spray and chalked glaze
- The antique finish on any surface
- No primer and sanding required
2. FolkArt 34150 Home Decor Chalk Furniture
Unlike most other paints, this product is easy to layer and distress, and it creates an ultra-matter chalk finish without fail.
- On top of that, it’s ideal for household furniture and doesn’t require stripping or priming. Although, you might layer and sand it to give it an edgy look.
- Aside from that, FolkArt Acrylic Paint is the dominating brand and the best pick in the crafting world.
- Since 1976, they’ve been manufacturing crafts high-end products that make art and crafting enjoyable, without having to risk your health in return.
- The demand for it is high, due to its premium quality paint that has several specialty finishes.
- Moreover, it’s preferable among artists, sculptors, and painters everywhere.
- You can customize your crafts with any dazzling finishes such as chalk paint, enamel, outdoor, multi-surface, glitter, neon, and many more.
- And it works excellently on numerous surfaces such as wood, ceramic, metal, plaster, canvas, terracotta, and whatnot.
Lastly, the rich, creamy coverage has an exceptional blending that hides the surface’s imperfections.
- A little goes a long way
- Dries fast and doesn’t make a mess
- 1-2 coats and you’re done
- Zero VOCs solution
- Excellent finish
3. Retique It Chalk Finish Paint by Renaissance
With Retique It, you can reach your results faster than you thought possible.
- It’s a non-toxic, Zero VOC’s chalk cabinet and furniture paint, which a lot of handymen and pro painters are using.
- The manufactures had you, your family, and the environment’s safety in mind before producing Retique It Chalk Furniture paint.
- For this reason, you have nothing to worry about.
- There’s no CA Prop 65 warning on this can, which implies continuous exposure to its fume is harmless.
- Also, the coverage is up to 40 m2 per liter for one layer, which makes it unique for larger projects. In fact, comparing productivity in this way, it’s 2x worth the price.
- In terms of its functionality, it has a superior chalky coverage that requires only 1 to 2 coats. Moreover, it offers a smooth finish with high durability for hiding surface flaws.
- Besides, the material penetrates well into the wood, giving excellent water and wear repellant on the top.
- Although it was specifically designed for cabinets and furniture only!
In other words, any attempt to use this product outside these surfaces might result in a floppy finish.
- It’s very affordable
- Excellent wood-like finish
- Tons of solid colors
- Ideal for large/small DIY projects
- It’s eco-friendly
4. Tried and True Wood Stain
If you’re a serious hobbyist that doesn’t have “Tried & True paint” in your painting collection, then you’re missing.
- Tried & True is 100% solvent-free, zero VOC, and safe for food and skin contact. It implies they’re safe for meal exposure. You can immediately move in food-grade, once the paint dries thoroughly – it’s 100% safe.
- Even when your kids try to feed on the crib, the paint doesn’t affect their health. Thus, making it the ideal safe spray paint for baby crib.
- Also, hundreds of weekend warriors around the world are raking in the benefits of using this product for all interior woodworking projects.
It’s the best non-VOC paint to apply on furniture, butcher’s block, cribs, cutting boards, children’s toys, and more.
Besides, the material is a healthy combination of superior penetrating linseed oil with all-natural earth pigments, resulting in sturdy protection while enhancing the natural beauty of the wood.
It’s the best choice for intensive projects, as it covers up to 100 square feet per gallon. That way, you won’t spend much money.
- Zero VOC, no odor and baby safe paint
- Wider coverage
- Durable coating
- Ideal for any interior project
5. Rust-Oleum 200241H Water-Based
Don’t let others take all the good stuff. Order your own product now; it’s not too late!
- Although it’s true, the more we expose ourselves to paint fumes, the less likely we are to live longer. However, not for Rust-Oleum 200241H zero VOC paint.
- First of all, there are no warning symbols on the cans, which implies it’s 100% eco-friendly.
- Also, the product has test certificates with PASS for contact with food items. That said, our infants can lick the cribs as they play, with no consequences.
- You can use it on multiple applications for both indoors and outdoors, including garden furniture, balcony decking, kitchen countertops, wood flooring, patio, and whatnot.
- Besides, it has an exceptional adhesion that can stay on the wood surface long enough. Also, increasing the wood’s natural beauty.
- Varathane offers an outstanding scratch and stain resistance that hides surface imperfections. Thus, keeping the surface area smooth and beautiful.
Lastly, with a coverage of approximately 125 square feet, you can get the project done fast. Moreover, it’s easy to dry. It only takes about 30-mins, whereas recoat commences after 2-hours.
- Ultra-fast drying
- Easy to clean (only soap and water)
- Saves time and hassle
- It can apply to both interior/exterior surfaces
- Classic and natural look
- Durable resistance to wear and tear
Baby Safe Spray Paint
If you prefer using spray paints, then there are also many child-safe spray paints out there that are safe for baby cribs.
Some of the ones we recommend are:
6. Rust-Oleum 302593 Series Chalked Ultra Matte Spray Paint
- This is undoubtedly one of the best paints for baby cribs in the market. It’s a crib safe paint that will instantly rejuvenate the décor of your kids’ room with a soft, matte chalky finish.
- It can be used on different interior surfaces, such as wood, furniture, ceramic, metal, canvas, glass surfaces, etc. And it’s highly rated on Amazon.
- This child safe spray paint comes in a range of trending colors and it dries to touch in 20 minutes.
- You can safely use the Rust-Oleum 302593 Series Chalked Ultra Matte Baby Safe Spray Paint on your child’s bed without the fear of harming your precious one as it’s entirely non toxic.
Read Also: Best Chalk Paints
7. Rust-Oleum 249090 Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover
- Rust-Oleum’s Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2X is another safe paint for baby crib. It claims to deliver 2x coverage compared to other competitive brands. It’s an oil-based formula with low odor and is designed to resist chips, providing durable protection.
- It’s fortified with advanced Double Cover Technology, which offers the perfect formula for ultimate hiding power, allowing your projects to be completed easier and much faster so you can enjoy it sooner.
- The smooth, glossy finish comes in a range of trendy colors so you can always pick the color that suits your baby’s room décor. It dries to touch in 20-minutes and can cover up to 12 sq. ft. per spray can.
- This non toxic paint for crib can be used on indoor and outdoor surfaces including wood, furniture, plaster, masonry, metal, unglazed ceramic, etc. So, if you’ve been looking for the best crib paint, give this one a try.
What are VOCs?
VOC stands for “Volatile Organic Compounds.”
- It’s a composition of both human-made and organic chemicals that contain hazardous chemical colorants, binding elements, pigments, and solvents.
- In detail, VOC contains benzene, ethylene glycol, acetone, formaldehyde, perchloroethylene, methylene chloride, xylene, toluene, and 1, 3-butadiene, that easily vaporize in the air at room temperature.
- During its boiling point (at room temperature), it releases a large number of coarse molecules into the surrounding air.
Therefore, if you truly care about your baby’s safety, you need to get safe spray paint for baby crib.
Read Also: How to Safely Paint a Baby Crib
Frequently Asked Questions About VOC
Is spray paint safe for babies?
Yes, there are many spray paints that are safe for babies, such as the 2 listed above.
Is Valspar paint safe for cribs?
Yes, many Valspar Signature paints can be safely used to paint a baby crib.
Is Rustoleum spray paint safe for baby furniture?
Yes! Rust-Oleum paints are unleaded and completely safe for use on baby furniture and toys. They are non-toxic paints for cribs because when the paint is cured fully, the solvents evaporate and can no longer be found in the coating.
is Krylon spray paint safe for babies?
Yes, the majority of the Krylon spray paints in the market are when cured. Federal law actually controls this.
What VOCs are in paint?
First of all, several VOCs are known carcinogens. Typically, a bucket of paint contains chemicals, like methylene chloride, benzene, etc., that have been linked to cancer, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
Additionally, VOCs are equally the chemicals in paint that make you develop a headache after painting.
Are VOCs in paint hazardous?
Yes, VOCs can have an adverse effect on your health. Some problems include irritated eyes, respiratory problems, nausea, headaches, – and even worse – damage to the central nervous system, kidneys, and liver. And some VOCs can also cause cancer.
What’s the effect of VOCs on human health?
Inhaling VOCs can irritate the throat, eyes, and nose. It can also lead to nausea, and difficulty breathing, and can damage the essential organs in the body.
How long do VOCs last after painting?
VOCs from paint dispels somewhat quickly with most off-gassing happening during the first 6 months of application. Other sources like particleboard may keep on off-gassing for up to 20 years and even more.
What paint has the lowest VOC?
It is required that paint have less than 250 g/L to be labeled low-VOC. Zero-VOC paints have to meet a fewer-than 5 g/L requirement. These are the current standard.
- Can You Paint A Car With A Wagner Paint Sprayer?
- Will Vinegar Remove Paint From Concrete?
- Flexio 3000 HVLP Paint Sprayer
- Best Gun Paints
- What Color Walls Go With Brown Furniture?
Are cribs painted with non-toxic paint?
What Type of Paint to Use on a Baby Crib. Here’s what you may want to consider when choosing the right paint for a crib: Only choose non-toxic (meaning no silicates or lead), non-odor paint that has zero volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
What paint is non-toxic to babies?
Organic wool and latex can be good options, but some people are allergic to them. You don’t know whether your baby will be affected or not, so stick to the safest option: cotton. For bedding, choose organic cotton if possible.
Is zero VOC paint safe for babies?
Long-term exposure to high levels of some VOCs is thought to cause liver and kidney damage, and even some cancers. To keep a room baby-safe, choose low-VOC or zero-VOC paint.
What paint should I use to paint a baby crib?
Milk paints are naturally VOC free, and is a nontoxic water-based paint, making it a top pick for painting a crib.
Is Lullaby paint safe for cribs?
Lullaby by ECOS nursery paints were specially designed without the harsh chemicals found in conventional paints. This line of non-toxic, zero-VOC* paint is perfect for cribs, play areas, or bedrooms. All Lullaby products are applied just like any conventional paints, using a brush, roller, or sprayer.
Is Behr paint safe for babies?
Unlike similar zero-VOC paints, Behr’s Premium Plus offers over 2,000 colors so you can color-match across brands that aren’t as eco-friendly. If it’s good enough for the royal baby, it’s good enough for you.
What paint has lowest VOC?
Best Non-Toxic Paints
- Benjamin Moore Aura.
- Sherwin-Williams Harmony Zero VOC Interior Acrylic Latex Paint.
- Clare Paint.
- Green Planet Paints.
- Homestead House Paint Company.
- Valspar Simplicity.
- Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company.
Is there baby safe paint?
What types of paint are safe for babies’ skin? Acrylic paint is not the only option for painting projects with your baby. Tempera paint, oil-based paint, and watercolor paint can also be safe options to consider for painting projects with your baby.
Does Sherwin-Williams have zero VOC paint?
The first complete, top-quality, zero-VOC professional line available in four sheens and every color. When specifying paint for clients’ projects, architects, designers and color consultants can’t go wrong with Sherwin-Williams new ProMar® 200 Zero VOC Interior Latex.
How many VOCs are in Sherwin-Williams paint?
Zero VOC formula and meets the most stringent VOC regulations, all while providing great hide and a durable finish. Available in a wide variety of colors and sheens, including; flat, eg-shel and semi-gloss.
Best Non VOC Paint | Conclusion
- The moment you realize that a child’s sensitivity to VOC paints is far higher than an adult’s, you’d want to limit toxic exposure to VOCs as soon as possible.
- And, one of the safest means is by painting your entire home with a non-toxic, zero VOC, no odor, and baby safe paint.
- They’re free from toxic and chemical components, which makes them safe for you and your family.
- Besides, what could you possibly lose? NOTHING! There are zero risks.
Nevertheless, if you want to settle for a less quality product, then you should fasten your seat belt for adverse health issues because you might just pass away without knowing the cause.
- Baby Safe Paint In 3 Best Steps
- Can You Use Eggshell Paint In Bathroom?
- Does baby oil take paint off?
- What spray paint is safe for kids?
- What to do if spray paint gets on skin?
- Is spray paint toxic to babies?
- Can I spray paint my baby crib?
- Can you spray paint your nails?
- How can I reuse baby food containers?
- Is spray paint safe for cribs?